Thursday, June 18, 2009

Poirot Returns to PBS

Agatha Christie is back! Six by Agatha on Masterpiece Mystery! starts on Sunday, June 21 on PBS. There will be two episodes of Poirot and four episodes of Miss Marple.

David Suchet revives his role as Poirot, and he's at the top of his form. He's such a fine actor. Suchet is Poirot in this his signature role as the Belgian private eye who uses his 'little gray cells' to crack the case. This is Suchet's 20th year as Poirot, and he says," The time has flown by. It's wonderful that people see a character who is cocky, proud, and boastful, and yet they want to spend time with him. There is enormous affection for the little man." Read an interview with David Suchet here.

I've seen the first Poirot, Cat Among the Pigeons, and it's a wonderful production. Everything I expect from a Christie is here--costuming, setting, plotting. I particularly like the unusual camera angles in this new series, and that carries over to the Miss Marples, as well. Very successful. Watch a clip of Cat Among the Pigeons, here.

Julia McKenzie is the new Miss Marple, and she does an excellent job. Past Miss Marples have included Margaret Rutherford, Angela Lansbury, Joan Hickson (my favorite) and Geraldine McEwan. Julia McKenzie does a smashing job, and I'll blog about that later when closer to the the first in that series, A Pocket Full of Rye, scheduled for July 12.

Support PBS. "Remember, PBS and your local stations rely on contributions from people like you."

3 comments:

Kerrie said...

Janet can I get you to submit this to the Agatha Christie Reading Challenge Blog Carnival please? Go to http://acrccarnival.blogspot.com/ and you will see why. Thanks Kerrie.

Kerrie said...

We are seeing the first Miss Marple this Sunday here in OZ

Janet Rudolph said...

Hi, Kerrie, I added my blog to the Agatha Christie Reading Challenge Blog Carnival. Thanks for asking, and I hope I did it right. I've been following it, of course, since I'm a huge Christie fan.

Have you seen the two Poirot yet? or are they starting with Miss Marple?