Thursday, May 28, 2009

Ian Fleming: 101

I must confess that I enjoy spy thrillers. My first introduction to them must have been Ian Fleming's James Bond series. Over the years, my taste changed--or should I say continued to grow- and branched out to John LeCarre and many of the contemporary thriller authors. I was very pleased when Penguin reprinted all the James Bond books in lovely paper editions, and I was finally able to replace my tattered much read books. (Collectors need not worry. They were in terrible shape).

Today would have been Ian Fleming's 101st birthday. Sadly Fleming died of a heart attack at the early age of 56 in 1964. How many more terrific books might he have written?

Some odd facts:
Fleming wrote not only the 14 James Bond books, but did you know that he also wrote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? and two non-fiction books. The James Bond novels weren't popular in the U.S. until John F. Kennedy included From Russia with Love on his list of favorite books. What is President Obama reading?

So today is Ian Fleming's 101st birthday. Raise a glass--" a vodka martini, shaken not stirred."

No comments: